Synergy is a free and open source (semi-)modular MIDI sequencer, patch editor and event processor / router.
It is designed as a performance sequencer that supports extensive realtime sequence modulations and live arrangements of patterns and clips, all of which can be recorded back to new sequences for further editing and / or (live-)recording passes.
- a Tracker sequencer with microtiming, zoomable patterns, customizable columns, (N)RPN and 14bit CCs, graphical envelopes, undo, ..
- a drumcomputer-like step sequencer with support for microtiming, swing, polyrhythmic and polymetric tracks, per-track speeds, ..
- a DAW-style timeline editor ("arranger") with support for clip selection / state recording, nested timelines, undo, ..
- freeform monitor and piano roll sequencer nodes for recording and playing back arbitrary MIDI data, including SysEx dumps
- a Modular sequencer node (41 modules)
- a ModMatrix event processor with support for polyphonic events and cubic bezier curve look up tables
- a script event processor (with support for custom C++ plugins)
- extensive MIDI remote control for all nodes and the UI itself
- lots of keyboard shortcuts for fast workflows (with builtin help / reminder tooltips)
- support for multi-channel MIDI and MPE (MIDI polyphonic expression)
- groove patterns
- multi-node and multi-pattern-sequence recording with configurable precount and undo
- built-in virtual MIDI ports (for exchanging events between nodes)
- SysEx patch editors and librarians for the Oberheim Matrix 1000, Roland Alpha Juno / MKS50, DSI Prophet 08 (rev1), DSI Prophet 12, Black Corporation Deckard's Dream, Korg Radias, Novation Peak (FW 2.0), Yamaha FS1R, Elektron Analog Rytm, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha Montage / MODX
- import of Analog Rytm drum computer patterns (tracker + step sequencer)
- Analog Rytm sample chain creator and sample / kit uploader
- preset management for nodes, pipes, curves
- MIDI synth profiles (for mapping notes and controller numbers to human-readable names)
- standard MIDI file import and export (SMF formats 0 and 1)
- special support for the Linnstrument HW controller (clip launching, virtual sliders and step sequencing)
- special support for the PreSonus FaderPort 8/16 HW controllers (recallable faders, manual+automatic labeling, ..)
- Light, Dark, and Mono themes, and customizable color grading
Projects consist of up to 16 pipes which may contain an arbitrary number of nodes (with 13 node types to choose from).
Nodes modify incoming MIDI events or generate new events.
The output of the first pipe ("master") is sent to all nodes while the output of all other pipes is sent to the MIDI ports.
Each node has two automation ports which can be used to remote control (legato or queued) pattern changes, mute states, play positions, playback speeds, note transpositions, and other (node-specific) features via external HW controllers and / or other nodes.
The application has been in development for about ten years, has been used for creating numerous tracks, and can be considered stable.
The documentation is still a work in progress. See here
for an older version which might be slightly out of date but is still valid for the most part.
5.1 Keyboard Shortcuts
5.2 PreSonus FaderPort 8/16 support
5.3 Yamaha Montage synth editor
A detailed changelog is available here
7.1 Windows (x64)
The release includes the "Eureka" VST host / softsynth / sampler / realtime-polyphonizer
when upgrading to a new release, backup your
synergy_config_local.tks and then replace the default local config
7.2 macOS (ARM64)
early alpha release. tested with external USB mouse + PC keyboard (insert / rctrl).
7.3 Linux (x64)
outdated binaries, ⇒ use source instead
7.4 Source Code
9 Table of Contents
Document created on 27-Jan-2023 23:52:04